Happy Wednesday! I have been meaning to make this dish so I could share it with you and I finally did last night.
Stir fry broccoli with bacon, fresh Parmesan cheese topped with pine nuts and a splash of lemon. A great side dish or a fine meal on its own. You should totally make this for dinner tonight. It’s fast, delicious, and only dirties one pan (two, if you decide to make some rice, which I think you should).
Now aside from frying the bacon – this dish takes all of 4 minutes so it is a great when you are in a pinch or simply trying to incorporate some green vegetables into the meal plan.
What I love about this recipe is how two fairly basic ingredients are combined with a few flavors to bring you an incredible result. The idea is to pan fry the broccoli with the bacon fat and lemon juice (don’t leave out that final squeeze – it’s key).
- 2 Cups of Broccoli
- 8 Slices of Bacon (Chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. Pine Nuts
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese (Shaved)
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Juice of a Lemon
- Chop and prepare the bacon.
- Cook on medium heat until bacon is crispy, drain on a paper towel.
- Remove excess grease in pan from bacon except about a tablespoon.
- Turn to high heat and add broccoli.
- Cook quickly and constantly moving the broccoli, add garlic, red pepper flakes, pine nuts and salt.
- After 2 minutes, add bacon back in the pan and stir fry for one more minute.
- Freshly squeeze the lemon over the broccoli.
- Remove from heat, plate it and top with shaved fresh Parmesan cheese.
Zesty Tip: When cooking green vegetables, always add a bit of salt once placed in the heat to keep the sharp green color. Also in this dish above – a little splash of water will help the steaming process and the broccoli to cook evenly and avoid burning.
Question of the Day: What is you favorite Green Vegetable?
What are your thoughts on the inauguration yesterday? I thought it was very memorable with an excellent speech and overall a very positive day for my friends south of the border.