Lately we have been having Quinoa more and more in place of other grains such as rice and pasta. The results are always great as we seem to love both the texture and flavor and when you take a look a the nutritional information – you have to agree it is a “decent” substitute.
Recently I shared with you a breakfast quinoa and of course you remember the greatest veggie burger ever ( one of the stars in there are quinoa). This darn little grain is very versatile and picking up more and more speed in the average household. The recipe today is as “SIMPLE AS IT GETS” and takes no time to whip up.
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa
- 1 Cup cooked chicken, diced
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Cups baby spinach
- Splash of water
- 1 Can Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 handfuls grape tomatoes
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- 1 Tbsp. Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp. Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium pot, start the quinoa following the instructions. I always buy pre washed quinoa to speed up the process
- In another large pan, over medium heat, add olive oil, chicken and begin to warm through. Add black beans, oregano, red pepper flakes and mix thoroughly. Let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add baby tomatoes and let cook for another couple of minutes. Add spinach and splash of water and mix together allowing the spinach to start to wilt.
- As the quinoa is almost cooked, lift the cover and add the lemon zest.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the pan and finish it off with lemon juice.
Zesty Tip: Adding lemon zest into the quinoa adds a burst of flavor as it finishes the cooking process. You could do the same thing with lime zest.
There you have it…. So today is a big day at the Cooking House. Cooking Junior, Carter turns 7 today! He was announced on Hot 105.5 rap birthday session. Carter loved it! Alright I better get down to business here. Have yourself a great day!